Treaty Senior Underwriter North America Regional & Specialty Practice
Shape Your Future With Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re currently offers an excellent opportunity for a Treaty Senior Underwriter in our Regional & Specialty Treaty unit. Our Stamford, CT office is the preferred work location. A flexible work arrangement including remote working will be considered for a right candidate.
The Treaty Underwriter’s primary responsibility is to assess, underwrite, price and structure new and renewal treaty business consistent with General Re’s risk appetite and profit margin expectations. This work is performed within a client team structure involving the underwriter, pricing actuary, account executive and account manager. On-the-job training is anticipated.
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic and a sense of urgency.
- Contributes to and champions a collaborative team culture.
- Demonstrates an ability to proactively manage potential conflict, internally and externally.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with other Gen Re business and service units by encouraging cooperation, participation, information exchange and identification of opportunities.
- Seeks feedback and continuously learns/improves own skills, including professional designations, as appropriate.
- Participates in and contributes to training/coaching initiatives. Is actively involved in mentoring initiatives.
- Contributes to a positive, disciplined, high trust, respectful and fun work environment.
- Technical underwriting capabilities involve handling commercial casualty lines of business including:
- Umbrella and Excess Liability
- Auto Liability
- General Liability
- Additional expertise in the following lines and segments of business is preferred
- Knowledge of issues surrounding Construction, Habitational, and Excess & Surplus
- Professional lines, e.g. E&O, D&O, and EPLI
- Program business/MGA
- Technical capabilities include:
- The ability to assess and analyze exposure to loss for both an individual risk and a portfolio of risks
- Understanding primary and excess insurance coverages
- Understanding of primary and excess insurance ratemaking concepts
- Reinsurance knowledge encompassing
- Treaty reinsurance concepts
- Individual risk underwriting for complex risks or programs
- Marketplace dynamics
- Understanding of treaty pricing tools and concepts, including rationale for appropriate deviations.
- Insurance company financial statement knowledge and how financials relate to reinsurance purchasing decision.
- Supports and fosters Gen Re’s Risk Management culture. Ensures compliance with all underwriting/pricing standards and processes.
- Demonstrates effective time management skills.
- Shares underwriting expertise and experiences to enable continuous team learning.
- Actively suggests and supports change and improvement as an essential part of any ongoing vital organization
- Practices an open, honest, and respectful communication style. Encourages and ensures ongoing communication on all matters of importance
- Is proficient in the use of all technology relevant to the position.
- 15+ years underwriting experience in insurance/reinsurance industry
- Treaty underwriting experience is preferred
- Insurance contract knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within differing team structures
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Strong math/analytical skills
- Self-starter and ability to multi task
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Some travel required
Does this sound exciting?
If you want to shape your future with us, please send your resume to Linda Dalesio in Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org