Medical and Special Risks Underwriter
Shape Your Future With Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Reinsurance, Milan Branch (a subsidiary of General Reinsurance AG) is offering an opportunity for a Medical and Special Risks Underwriter in our Milan Life Health Department.
As a key member of the team, the successful candidate will predominantly concentrate on day to day technical underwriting as well as soliciting new business, handling of accounts and marketing activities. You will also be expected to administer, implement and promote all aspects of Gen Re underwriting philosophy and practice and to ensure that high levels of service are met and maintained.
Following a period of training, the role will comprise of the following:
Technical underwriting of Life and Health business
This will include:
- Understanding and applying Gen Re’s underwriting philosophy, rules and guidelines with individual case underwriting
- Understanding underwriting tools, rates and pricing structures
- Working on innovative projects such as digital underwriting tools and automatization of underwriting
- Working within agreed authority limits
- Providing technical underwriting advice (case handling) to Gen Re clients daily
- Proficiency in understanding client contracts and policy terms and conditions
- Ensuring clear, concise and accurate documentation and maintaining the underwriting manual
- Providing Claims management in conjunction with our claims experts and Consulting Medical Officers
- Performing underwriting and claims audits.
- Developing and maintaining strong client relationships
Supporting the wider Gen Re team
This will include:
- Supporting company seminars, training and events
- Participating in Gen Re medical underwriting training
- Liaising actively with other Gen Re business units
The duration of the period of training will be determined by the candidate’s experience
- Proven experience in Life & Health risk assessment and underwriting
- Confidence with learning new technologies
- Solid use of technology and abilities to update underwriting tools
- Confidence with Word, Excel and PowerPoint are essential for the role
- Italian and English language skills are required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong client relationship management skills
- Ability to balance client needs against underwriting and claims discipline
- Solid use of technology and abilities to update tools
- Highly developed interpersonal skills within a team environment
- Friendly, approachable, professional
- Flexibility to align to the continuing demands of the department
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Attention to detail
- Proactive approach to work
- Uses initiative where appropriate and can work with minimal supervision
- Analytical approach
Please submit your CV together with details of your salary expectations to the email address below for the attention of Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 31 July 2020
Please note only successful applicants will be contacted.