Information Security Architect
Shape Your Future With Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re currently offers an excellent opportunity for an Information Security Architect in our Stamford, CT office.
The Security Architect leverages extensive experience in information systems and security to develop strategies and solutions that adapt to changing threats over the long term. The architect develops architectures, solutions and standards and works closely with other IT practice leads to promote secure designs and practices across the firm.
Candidate must have strong hands-on technical background, and must demonstrate operational, architectural and security expertise at all layers of the OSI stack inclusive of cloud. Candidate must be highly collaborative and is expected to partner and mentor effectively with other teams on an ongoing basis.
- Strong conceptual thinking and communication skills - the ability to translate complex business and technical requirements into effective and comprehensible solutions.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of the information security strategy.
- Works closely with enterprise architects, other functional area architects and security specialists to ensure adequate security solutions are in place throughout all IT systems and platforms to mitigate identified risks sufficiently, and to meet business objectives and regulatory requirements.
- Serves as a security expert in application development (including dev/sec/ops), database design, network and/or platform (operating system) efforts, helping project teams comply with enterprise and IT security policies, industry regulations, and best practices.
- Researches, designs and advocates new technologies, architectures, and security products supporting security requirements for the enterprise and its customers, business partners and vendors.
- Executes projects as project leader, and lead engineer.
- Analyzes business impact and exposure, based on emerging security threats, vulnerabilities and risks.
- Identifies regulatory, governance, and policy gaps and proposes relevant solutions.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, information systems or other related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Professional security management certification, such as a ISC(2) Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), SANS GIAC Information Security Professional (GISP), GIAC-Security Expert (GSE), or GIAC Certified Enterprise Defender (GCED)
- 5 to 10 years of experience required in the following:
- Extensive expertise in NIST and ISO 27000 security practice frameworks.
- Extensive hands-on experience with security infrastructures (e.g. Firewalls, IDS/IPS, VPN, Web Content Filters, Proxies, DLP, SIEM, Log aggregation correlation technologies – both traditional and cloud based
- Extensive hands-on experience operating one or more common IT infrastructures (Telecom, database, Windows and *NIX server systems, virtualization platforms, Azure Cloud IaaS)
- Proficiency with scripting/programming languages (e.g. Python, Ruby, Powershell)
- Demonstrable expertise with configuration automation practices and toolchains (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc…)
- Expertise with enterprise identity and namespace services (e.g. Active Directory, LDAP, DNS, Oauth, SAML)
- Expertise with enterprise certificate management and PKI services.
- Familiarity with international data privacy and U.S. regulations and bestvpractices.
- Familiarity with security-specific architecture methodology (e.g. SABSA).
- Familiarity with a relevant enterprise architecture methodology (e.g. Zachman Framework, TOGAF).
- Demonstrable experience creating, securing and managing Cloud infrastructures (e.g. Microsoft Azure)
- Excellent communication skills.