Underwriter – GenStar
Shape Your Future With Us
General Star is a premier specialty and surplus lines provider, underwriting specialty property and casualty (P&C) insurance for risks with more difficult exposures. It markets its products through appointed wholesale brokers and managing general agents (MGAs) in the U.S. General Star is a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. General Re Corporation is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for a Underwriter in our office located in Chicago, IL
The ideal candidate will analyze, underwrite and manage a delegated book of Property and Casualty Risks written through a group of select MGAs for the Contract P&C Unit. The candidate will manage the overall relationship with the appointed MGAs, will be responsible for program changes and the training on new and existing products.
- Establish and maintain a disciplined underwriting and client management approach with the ultimate objective of writing business to an expected underwriting profit.
- Evaluate and audit a book of business produced by select MGAs in accordance with established underwriting guidelines. Monitor the quality of risks, the pricing and the trends associated with the book.
- Handle submissions that consist mostly of referrals from MGA underwriters as required by underwriting guidelines. Quote larger and more complex accounts when needed.
- Develop effective personal business relationships with both existing and new clients either through daily interaction and periodic travel to client locations and industry events. The position requires approximately 20% travel.
- Participate in various special projects and in product development.
- 3+ years of underwriting experience in commercial lines.
- Undergraduate college degree.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong/polished interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Natural aptitude for teamwork/Initiative.
- Critical thinking and organizational ability.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Lotus Notes.
- Strong analytical skills.