Pricing Actuary – Student Level – GenStar
Shape Your Future With Us
General Star is a premier specialty and surplus lines provider, underwriting specialty property and casualty (P&C) insurance for risks with more difficult exposures. It markets its products through appointed wholesale brokers and managing general agents (MGAs) in the U.S. General Star is a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. General Re Corporation is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for a Pricing Actuary – Student Level reporting into our Stamford, CT office. The position may work full time in Stamford, CT or divide time between a home-based office and our Stamford office.
Primary Responsibilities/activities are
- Assist in pricing and related projects as assigned by manager
- Build understanding of all General Star and Genesis management reports
- Evaluate rate adequacy on prospective blocks of business
- Provide necessary support on admitted business and associated filings
- Perform rate adequacy studies on our various departments
- Understand and revise the pricing models we disseminate to others
- Manage assigned projects involving pricing, reserving, benchmarking, support of Group Finance or Accounting.
- Assist when needed on compliance issues (e.g. to state regulators)
- Work in multidiscipline groups
- Pass actuarial examinations or learn quickly from on the job training
- A University degree is required with a major course of study in Actuarial science, Mathematics, Economics, or similar quantitative fields
- Actuarial Exams – at least 2 exams passed, and continued pursuit of actuarial exams
- Proficient in Excel (with VBA helpful), Access, SQL helpful
- Familiar with technical tools to manipulate data sets (Python/R) and experience in building and implementing machine learning and predictive models.
- Some actuarial industry experience/Internships desirable
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic team player/self -starter
Does this sound exciting?
If you want to shape your future with us, please send your resume to Linda Dalesio in Human Resources: email@example.com