Chief North American P&C Reinsurance Pricing Actuary
Shape Your Future With Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
We are currently offering an excellent opportunity for a Chief North American P&C Reinsurance Pricing Actuary in our Stamford, CT office.
The Chief North American P&C Reinsurance Pricing Actuary will lead a team of actuaries and analysts in the areas of pricing, catastrophe modeling and data analytics. The position will directly manage a team of pricing actuaries and cat modelers and work closely with the data analytics team to provide input and support to North American P&C Reinsurance operations. The position requires experience in reinsurance pricing, and knowledge of catastrophe models and their application to reinsurance pricing. Strong candidates will also have at least some experience with data analytics and its application in (re)insurance.
- Position reports to Global Chief Actuary
- Direct management responsibility for North American Core Pricing Teams, responsible for pricing tools and parameters applicable to Direct Reinsurance business
- Directly manage the North American treaty catastrophe modeling team
- Lead data analytics efforts on P&C business relating to North American business
- Lead Treaty Reinsurance pricing model development and maintenance. This will involve overseeing the North American Core Pricing Unit (CPU) which has responsibility for pricing tools.
- Work with underwriters, actuaries and business managers to identity opportunities and needs for model development. There should be agreement and coordination between the actuarial pricing function and the business leaders as to where resources should be utilized.
- Oversee, review and provide input into development of model parameters (e.g., trend, severity curves, industry loss ratios, etc.)
- Manage the technical implementation and maintenance of treaty pricing tools
- Support underwriters and business unit pricing actuaries in peer review of major account work.
- Provide pricing and underwriting input on large transactions
- Work with Facultative units to review existing pricing models and identify immediate needs for development and enhancement.
- Work with Cas Fac lead pricing actuary to support and review internal pricing tools
- Provide input to Property Facultative team on pricing models and development opportunities
- Manage North American Cat Modeling team responsible for providing property underwriters timely model output as part of the pricing/underwriting process
- Oversee the roll-up of global cat model output for aggregate management
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and efficiency around model delivery
- Participate in global cat modeling initiatives, leading local efforts to support global needs
- Evaluate consistency of pricing approaches for both modeled and non-modeled catastrophe
- Work with Data Analytics team in support of P&C business initiatives.
- Consult with Business Units to identify opportunities to utilize Data Analytics in support of company and client needs.
- FCAS designation
- Strong knowledge and understanding of insurance and reinsurance industry
- Demonstrated strong technical skills and business acumen
- Excellent presentation and oral communication skills
- Ability to interact, communicate and influence constituents at all levels, internal and external.
- Demonstrated team leadership and management skills
- Familiarity with Data Science techniques (for example: R, Python, Clustering, GLM, etc)
- Identifies and monitors risk and business issues/trends/ (legal, regulatory, social) that impacts the business
- Ability to proactively make recommendations for action
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to remain objective, not being influenced by market conditions.