Casualty Facultative Underwriter
Shape Your Future With Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re currently offers an excellent opportunity for a Casualty Facultative Underwriter on our Berkshire Broker Team. This role can be performed remotely for an appropriately qualified individual.
- Provides a high level of underwriting analysis for both client and internal teams.
- Conducts evaluation of moderate to complex risks/exposures requiring thoughtful approaches.
- Demonstrates sound underwriting skills, and is adept in the application of rates, forms, pricing structures, terms & conditions.
- Provides concise and clear documentation, effectively highlighting the underwriting thought process.
- The Underwriter is expected to:
- have a solid understanding of the cause-effect relationship of decisions and their impact on the business
- operate comfortably in a team environment where multi-headed risk reviews and analyses are routine.
- The Cas Fac underwriter concentrates on developing and maintaining broker relationships while
- Learns and expands effective marketing behaviors by participating in broker visits as needed.
- Effectively negotiates with brokers on pricing, structuring, terms & conditions, etc.
- Continuously builds on their knowledge of various markets and segments (i.e., E&S, Specialty, Middle Market, Large Accounts, etc)
Learning / Development
- The Cas Fac underwriter takes an active role in increasing his or her knowledge of policies, principles, processes, procedures, and various lines of business.
- Attends and participates in all Gen Re Cas Fac underwriting and technical seminars to improve skills and remains consistent with departmental philosophies and underwriting guidelines.
- Identifies and prioritizes opportunities in an efficient manner.
- 8‑10 years minimum industry experience in underwriting (reinsurance experience preferred).
- Marketing and travel: 10%
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates a high level of interpersonal skills and critical thinking skills.
- Capacity to work within a remote team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Does this sound exciting?
If you want to shape your future with us, please send your resume to Linda Dalesio in Human Resources: email@example.com.