Shape Your Future With Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Reinsurance Africa Ltd (a subsidiary of General Reinsurance AG) currently offers an excellent opportunity for a Claims Manager in our Cape Town office.
This position reports to the Operational Director for the Life Health Team. The Claims Manager will be responsible for the delivery of the Gen Re claims proposition in South Africa and sub-Saharan Africa. The incumbent is an expert claims resource with comprehensive claim knowledge and experience. Managerial duties include hiring as well as overseeing performance and development of employees.
The Claims team exists to assist in the Company’s management of profitable reinsurance business. It does this by:
- Making correct claims decisions including which claims are valid & which are not valid and which claims can be rehabilitated.
- Undertaking focused research, which will generate competitive advantage through superior understanding of risk.
- Creating an image of the company as a thought leader through client meetings, articles and presentations.
- Monitoring client claims management practices and ensuring they remain rigorous.
- Managing a team of 6 people in accordance with all Gen Re policies, procedures, philosophies and goals.
- Assessment of and input on claims. Act as a senior resource, teacher and technical claim advisor to the team and others within the organisation.
- Expected to meet or exceed departmental goals, including both internal and external goals for e.g. the management of claim turnaround times.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of process improvements and workflow.
- Ensure claims data collected is analysed and claim statistics reported to senior management on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Designing insurance product solutions together with the underwriting, actuarial and account management teams.
- International collaboration with colleagues and clients.
- Providing support to and deputising for the Claims Head of Segment when required.
- Working with the Claims Head of Segment to deliver the strategic priorities for claims for the region.
- Contributing to claims development and research projects.
- Successful rollout of new IT initiatives within the region.
- Accountable for the effective development, ongoing maintenance and consistent application of client communications and relationships.
- Conducting claims reviews of clients’ books of business and reporting on the findings, as well as identifying training needs and optimising processes.
- Strategic input on gaining new and maintaining existing clients.
- Presenting at client, industry conferences and events.
- Represent Gen Re Life Claims in industry work that may require committee representation, effective delivery of presentation material and travel on short notices.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a member of a team or independently.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to produce high quality work in a timely manner
- Highly refined analytical skills and business acumen.
- Ability to work in challenging situations, multi-task, flexible, adaptable and self-starter
- Strong attention to details
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Fluent English, a second language would be advantageous
Additional relevant information
- Prior experience managing claims and people.
- At least 5 years of experience assessing claims in a life insurance or reinsurance company.
- Experience and knowledge of dealing with life, critical illness and disability claims
- Excellent knowledge of the South African Insurance market
- Relevant University degree and experience required
- Flexibility to travel on short notice.
Responsibilities continue to grow and evolve throughout one’s career at Gen Re. Our employees enjoy a strong work/life balance, flexibility, a quality work environment, comprehensive benefits and a competitive compensation structure. We are continually committed to strengthening our employees’ professional skills, industry knowledge and personal growth.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your CV together with details of your salary expectations and your earliest possible starting date to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter please let us know what interests you about the role and why you think you would be right for the position.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in South Africa. Preference will be given to previously disadvantaged candidates.
Closing Date: 31 August 2020
Please note, only successful applicants will be contacted.