Senior HR Advisor / HR Manager
Shape Your Future With Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Reinsurance Africa Ltd (a subsidiary of General Reinsurance AG) currently offers an opportunity for a Senior HR Advisor or HR Manager in our Cape Town office.
The successful candidate will have responsibility for all Human Resource matters for the South African subsidiary and will report into the Regional HR Manager based in the UK and locally to the Operations Director. HR professionals in Gen Re serve as key members of the local management team and regularly advise senior management and the local Board of Directors on employment matters, training and development, talent management, and compensation practices. Together with the business you will be responsible for ensuring that there is the necessary human resources to appropriately execute the business strategy, and to develop and implement programs and practices to attract, retain and motivate our staff in furtherance of that strategy in an ethical and transparent manner. This role is ideal for an HR generalist who enjoys being involved in all aspects of the HR function.
- Provide support, advice, and guidance, including on matters of employment legislation, internal policies and procedures, and best practice.
- Ensure that HR policy and procedures remain current, fit for purpose and in compliance with legal obligations.
- Contribute to fostering a positive working environment.
- Lead and coordinate employee relations matters (capability, disciplinary, grievance, redundancies etc.) to ensure it is managed efficiently, professionally and in line with the relevant employment law and policies and procedures.
- Support the recruitment and selection process, to include preparation of job descriptions and drafting of advertisements, processing applications, oversee shortlisting procedures, scheduling of interviews, and being the first point of contact for applicants.
- Undertake and oversee the onboarding and offboarding procedures.
- Provide oversight and support to the appraisal processes, ensuring correct application of policies and procedures and record maintenance.
- To maintain accurate and confidential staff records in compliance with data protection regulations.
- Work with the finance team on the monthly processing of payroll and liaising with third parties in relation to staff benefits.
- Work with the finance team on any staff related regulatory reporting as required by all relevant laws in South Africa, including but not limited to Stats SA, INSETA, FSC, DoEL etc.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the annual staff training planner, including sourcing external trainers and resources, and within specified budgets.
- Support change management process, and participate in the implementation of specific projects, procedures, and guidelines to help align staff with the strategic goals of the organisation.
- To undertake such other duties commensurate with the nature of the post as may reasonably be required.
- Experience in an HR Generalist role is essential
- Experience of working as the sole HR practitioner within an organisation is desirable
- Experience of working in the Financial Services sector is desirable
- Sound knowledge of current employment law and regulations, and best practice in HR management
- Strong communication, interpersonal and influencing skills
- Resilient, with ability to remain calm and measured under pressure
- Friendly, approachable with a high degree of professionalism and personal integrity; ability to exercise complete discretion
- Collaborative, flexible and adaptable, with willingness to proactively embrace change
- Comfortable in exercising a high degree of initiative, self-motivation and organisation, and professional judgement
- High level of competency in the use of IT, especially MS Office
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act and in line with our employment equity policy.
Does this sounds exciting?
Please submit your CV together with details of your salary expectations and in your cover letter please let us know what interests you about the role and why you think you would be right for the position. Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and labelled with the title “Human Resources Vacancy”
The closing date for applications is 31 January 2021.
Please note, only successful candidates will be contacted.