Assistant VP / Senior Underwriter - Individual DI and CI
Shape Your Future With Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re Life currently offers an excellent opportunity for an Assistant VP / Senior Underwriter for the Individual DI/CI Insurance underwriting team in our Portland, ME office or performed remotely for appropriately qualified individual.
The associate underwrites facultative risks commensurate with their experience, training and skills, by analyzing the medical, occupational and financial aspects of Individual Disability Income and Critical Illness insurance prospects. Assist clients with their risk selection and time service needs while achieving the morbidity and profitability goals consistent with our business plan objective.
Position Responsibilities include:
- Review facultative Individual Disability Income and Critical Illness insurance risks and assess medical, occupational and financial aspects to determine the appropriate risk classification.
- Assume other workflow responsibilities as needed. Provide input regarding clients, underwriting standards and procedures to better market our services. Contribute to the department’s focus on innovation through idea sharing.
- Continuously pursue professional development. Keep abreast of all changes in medical advances, and actively participate in training seminars held in-house as well as outside courses designated by Manager.
- Client Contact and Industry Trends: Interact with clients, expanding our knowledge of what our client needs are, and the competitor services being offered. Become an expert in client company procedures, requirements and service needs. Provide client support and assistance within their specifications and guidelines. Strive to be a problem solver and advise management of potential problems or issues.
- Internal/External Contributions: Participate in committees and/or complete projects as needed. Support other areas of the company as needed.
- Critical results: Underwrite cases in a consistent manner utilizing appropriate client criteria and Gen Re standards in a manner that is consistent with Gen Re pricing, profit and morbidity objectives. Provide quality, timely customer service in order to help Gen Re become noteworthy and a leader in the area of underwriting service. Consistently provide outstanding underwriting service to enable Gen Re to attract and/or retain clients.
- Minimum of 10 years of individual disability underwriting with multi-life GSI experience. Reinsurance underwriting experience preferred, but direct company, brokerage underwriting experience may be considered. CI experience is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Extensive experience in handling complex individual disability cases; proven ability to evaluate medical, occupational and financial information to determine the most appropriate underwriting offer.
- College degree preferred
- Special attention to detail, ability to organize and present complex scenarios and skill to evaluate the appropriate morbidity risk independently, and in collaboration with Underwriting Management and Medical staff
- Make decisions that consider the client, plan, pricing and prior experience
- Strong client facing skills - ability to interact with clients effectively to positively influence future opportunities
- Experience with project management and demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with individuals at all levels of seniority
- Proven presentation and training skills
- Flexibility to travel