Life Actuary / Actuarial Student: Product Development and Pricing
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Reinsurance Africa Ltd (a subsidiary of General Reinsurance AG) currently has an excellent opportunity for an Actuarial Student or recently qualified Actuary in the Technical Actuarial Team in our Cape Town office. The position will report to the Chief Actuary.
This is a challenging and rewarding role involving multiple work areas for Gen Re internally, internationally as well as for our clients:
- Preparing quotations for new business and reviews of existing business for both Group and Individual Life business
- Support of analysis and assessment of life and health reinsurance portfolios for the purposes of risk management, experience study, planning and quotation
- Developing new products and assisting clients with revisions to existing products
- Monitoring and provision of management information statistics
- Undertaking focussed research, which will generate competitive advantage through superior understanding of risk
- Creating an image of the company as a thought leader through client meetings, articles and presentations
- Maintaining the Company’s pricing guidelines, pricing tools and treaty wording standards
- Drafting contracts
- Relevant Actuarial qualification with good evidence of progress towards qualification as an actuary
- The ability to build strong relationships with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to work in a methodical manner with good analytical skills
- Able to work under pressure in meeting internal and external deadlines
- Strong problem solving skills, particularly when in new situations or dealing with clients
- Consistent pursuit of excellence in execution and delivery
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills
- Excellent IT skills (MS Office, SQL Server, Working with large datasets)
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Prior work experience in pricing, product development or reinsurance will be an advantage
Does this sound exciting?
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act and in line with our employment equity policy. Please submit your CV together with details of your salary expectations.