Solution Architect (Microsoft)
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
Gen Re currently offers an excellent opportunity for a Solution Architect in our Stamford, CT office.
The Solution Architect is a member of the Global Platform Services team and is primarily responsible for overseeing design, implementation, governance and quality for various initiatives. While broad technical knowledge is required for this position, core technology expertise in the Microsoft application platform stack is the focus. The individual will be assigned to various projects and will need to architect and govern a potentially broad technology stack (from Operating System to Middleware to Application) while providing design/solution support for complex requirements, always keeping the enterprise architecture roadmap in mind. This individual is also responsible for establishing future strategy and roadmap for various technologies and technical patterns.
- Work closely with functional and technical teams to drive technical design decisions; able to identify gaps in vendor solutions.
- Understand business drivers and business capabilities (future and current state) and determine corresponding enterprise system designs and change requirements to drive the organization’s targeted business outcomes.
- Design and lead the implementation of solutions across a group of specific business applications or technologies based on enterprise business strategy, business capabilities and business requirements.
- Monitor the current-state solution portfolio to identify deficiencies through aging of the technologies used by the application, or misalignment with business requirements.
- Understand technology trends and the practical application of existing, new, and emerging technologies to enable new and evolving business and operating models.
- Analyze the business-IT environment (run, grow and transform the business) to detect critical deficiencies, and recommend solutions for improvement (systems of record, differentiation and innovation).
- Define the principles, guidelines, standards and solution patterns to align any solution decisions with the enterprise’s future-state architecture vision.
- Design and direct the governance activities associated with assurance and compliance from an architecture standpoint.
- Ensure enterprise architecture guidelines are followed and present any new guidelines to Architecture Review Board (ARB).
- Develop and provide input into the roadmap for the evolution of the enterprise application portfolio from future to current state (as defined by the enterprise architecture).
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, computer science, information systems, or equivalent work experience.
- TOGAF Certified, or similar.
- 10+ years IT experience with at least 5+ years as an architect, particularly in .NET development and Azure DevOps services.
- Working experience with WCF, REST API/Web API frameworks, Angular/MVC is highly desired.
- Understand the various disciplines of application solution architecture, including development, integration, security, reporting.
- Prior experience as a business analyst, programmer and data modeler is highly desired, with a strong understanding of Secure Software Development Life Cycle process and tooling behind it.
- Ability to develop prototypes to test design decisions is required.
- Ability to research and assess new tools and platforms from both a technical and cost feasibility perspective is required.
- Experience with large platforms such as SAS or SAP is a plus.
- Experience with PowerShell is a plus.
- Industry experience in reinsurance, or other customer-driven industries such as insurance is highly desired.
- Excellent communication, presentation and leadership abilities.