Accounting and Operations Analyst – Gen Star
General Star is a premier specialty and surplus lines provider, underwriting specialty property and casualty (P&C) insurance for risks with more difficult exposures. It markets its products through appointed wholesale brokers and managing general agents (MGAs) in the U.S. General Star is a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. General Re Corporation is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide.
We currently offer an excellent opportunity for an Accounting and Operations Analyst in our office located in Stamford, CT
The Accounting and Operations Analyst provides key operations and administrative support to our Property and Medical Professional underwriting division as required to complete the underwriting process in accordance with established workflows, procedures and other company protocols. The Accounting and Operations Analyst will partner with Underwriting in all areas in support of the quoting, binding and policy issuance processes.
- Accurate and timely processing, reporting, and analysis of premium, claim, reinsurance and other financial/policy data for General Star
- Provide and coordinate training to ensure complete understanding of (re)insurance operations and accounting processes
- Develop and maintain positive collaborative relationships with both internal and external clients
- Daily interaction with our onshore and offshore Business Processing Outsource (BPO) partners, overseeing the quality of deliverables and managing relationships to ensure SLA’s are being met and that our BPO’s understand our operational objectives.
- Respond to internal inquiries regarding General Star premium or claims data
- Participate as a subject matter expert in process review and/or redesign
- Lead internal or external audits, training, etc., which may require domestic travel
- Perform other project work or data/financial analysis as required
- Prepare, review and evaluate data or financial reports
- Create or update procedure manuals, ensuring that processes are documented accurately, and documentation is kept current
- Accurately collects and monitors data on a regular basis, reviewing for inconsistencies and errors to ensure data integrity.
- 2+ years of experience in (re)insurance operations and accounting
- Undergraduate college degree in business and/or a technology related field preferred
- Comprehensive understanding and subject matter expertise of the (re)insurance operations and accounting processes
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent computer skills – Microsoft Office Suite with emphasis on Microsoft Outlook
- Strong quantitative skills and proficiency using Microsoft Excel and SQL databases
- Must be detailed oriented
- Proven analytical skills including the ability to identify and report problems or errors while working with significant amounts of detailed information
- Understanding and experience with administrative and clerical procedures including managing electronic files, data, and records
- Proficiency in using business operations, accounting, financial, and insurance/reinsurance industry terminology
- Takes ownership and accountability for one’s own work product – commitment to quality
- Ability to work collaboratively, share knowledge and best practices
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with internal and external resources in a multi-cultural environment