Fixed Income Research Analyst
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide.
A wholly-owned subsidiary of General Re Corporation, New England Asset Management, Inc. (NEAM) has carved out a reputation as the premier provider of investment and capital management services to the insurance industry. With assets under management in excess of $64 billion, NEAM is a leader in providing investment management, capital management, risk analytics, and accounting and reporting to the property & casualty and life & health insurance industries.
NEAM’s growth in the investment management industry has been marked by leadership, product innovation, and its performance results. NEAM has developed proprietary decision-making tools and specialized services enabling the delivery of effective asset and capital management solutions to clients within the context of evolving regulatory, accounting and tax issues faced by insurance companies today.
The firm’s culture is team oriented, collaborative, and intellectually curious resulting in innovative products and investment management tools for clients.
NEAM currently offers an excellent opportunity for a Fixed Income Research Analyst in our NEAM office in Farmington CT.
The Analyst will be responsible for analyzing investment grade corporate credits, with a clear focus on the financial sector. The successful candidate will be a member of a team that provides fundamental credit analysis used for making timely investment recommendations for client portfolios with the goal of outstanding investment performance. This position is responsible for:
- Making investment recommendations and providing appropriate documentation to support the decision-making process.
- Conducting extensive due diligence to support buy/sell/hold decisions as well as relative value recommendations.
- Assessing individual company financial profiles.
- Preparing/maintaining financial models.
- Monitoring earnings releases and news stories.
- Networking with key industry participants and analysts.
- Preparing concisely written company specific reports that will include recommendation rationale, outlook, key credit strengths/concerns, as well as recent developments.
- Monitoring credit trends within assigned industry sectors, identifying key drivers within the sector, and presenting a near and intermediate term outlook.
- 1-3 years of relevant industry-related experience with a proven track record of fundamental credit analysis that results in sound investment decisions.
- Direct experience analyzing financial institutions a plus.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial statements and structures; determine management strengths, weaknesses, and viability of corporate strategies.
- Demonstrated success in identifying key credit issues and effectively communicating these findings to appropriate personnel.
- Possessing strong oral and written communication skills, proven ability to make, communicate, and defend decisions. Must have experience, and be comfortable with, presenting their analysis to both internal and external constituents.
- A self-starter with a passion for excellence and ability to manage his/her time effectively.
- Comfortable in a team oriented collegial environment.
- Advanced degree such as an MBA and/or CFA designation desirable.