Catastrophe Risk Analyst
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
We are currently offering an excellent opportunity for a Catastrophe Risk Analyst in our Stamford, CT office.
This role is with the North America loss modelling team which is part of the larger pricing and actuarial department. The modelling team is responsible for ensuring day-to-day catastrophe analyses are delivered in support of underwriters and senior management. This role is also expected to carry out model reviews/validations and propose adjustments where applicable to align with Gen Re’s internal view of catastrophe risk. The ideal candidate will possess a desire to increase the impact catastrophe management has on the business.</
- Provide accurate loss modelling output to underwriters in a timely manner.
- Work with loss modelling team members to continually refine in-house process, challenging current assumptions and workflow.
- Perform project and ad-hoc work such as model research or system/process development.
- Contribute to the development of risk views by understanding the relevant peril region data sensitivities of the vendor models; and building process enhancement/guidelines accordingly.
- Keep up to date with model changes and flaws.
- Perform analysis on model change impact to Gen Re’s portfolio.
- Perform post event modelling analyses.
- Support global CAT aggregate management process and assist in identifying potential CAT loss aggregations.
- Work with underwriting operations and IT to develop close to real-time CAT risk analytics.
- Support, and develop peer catastrophe risk analysts.
- Liaising with cat model vendor support.
- Attending relevant seminars and conferences.
- At least 5 years of catastrophe modelling experience using AIR and RMS vendor models. Specifically; RiskLink, Risk Browser, Touchstone and Catrader (Touchstone Re).
- 5-7+ years of global treaty reinsurance modelling with AIR - Touchstone/Catrader (Touchstone Re) and RMS - RiskLink/Risk Browser.
- Undergraduate degree in risk management, actuarial science, mathematics, statistics or other quantitative field of study.
- Experience validating/reviewing vendor models and proposing model adjustments.
- Experience solving technical problems/challenges.
- Multi-relational database experience (Access, SQL Server) with the ability to write SQL statements. Visual Basic a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of vendor model database schemas (EDM, RDM, CEDE).
- CCM and or CCRA certifications desirable.
- Strong written and oral communication skills