General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. It owns General Reinsurance Corporation and General Reinsurance AG, which conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Reinsurance Africa Ltd (a subsidiary of General Reinsurance AG) currently offers a permanent position opportunity for an Accounting Specialist in our Cape Town office.
The main purpose of the job will be to assist the members of the Life/Health Finance Team in all aspects of data handling and analysis work with the key focus on improving, developing and automating processes and creating robust solutions around data management issues.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Individual and group premium administration
- To review client data requirements and ensure policy and claims information can be transferred to the data warehouse. This requires working with different systems and testing uploads from the initial stage through to a handover to the relevant Client Accountant.
- Follow up and monitoring of outstanding data
- Claims administration
- Preparation and loading of claims into internally developed SQL-based system
- Ensuring all claims are appropriately authorized
- Creation of authorized claims batch payments
- Follow up on outstanding claims
- Attend to client queries
- Assist claims and other internal departments
- Changes and creation of new configurations on internally developed SQL-based system
- To provide input and ideas for the improvement of team processes, with the focus on automating these as far as possible. Stream lining processes to ensure efficiencies are being made in the team whilst providing high quality and consistent service to all clients.
- Ad hoc tasks and reporting as required from time to time
- University degree or diploma in Computer Science, Finance or related field
- Knowledge of insurance products and South Africa life insurance in general will be an advantage
- Advanced Excel Skills
- Experience using SQL or Python
- Knowledge and understanding of administration processes
- Basic financial understanding
- Willingness to learn internally developed systems
- Ability to work in a methodical and systematic way
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- An enquiring mind
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively as part of a team, deal with people at all levels and in all areas of the business and engage with clients
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to prioritize, while remaining flexible to deal with changing work demands
- Excellent organisational skills combined with a high level of attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a high-performance environment
Does this sound exciting?
Preference will be given, but not limited to, candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act and in line with our employment equity policy. Please submit your CV together with details of your salary expectations.